Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year Resolutions

My topic today is traditional and appropriate! It's the time of year for people to take a good look at themselves and ask the big questions. Am I who I want to be? What do I need to change? What goals should I make for myself this year? Did I complete goals from last year? Am I who I want to be? As we ask ourselves this question, do we consider all aspects of our lives? I checked out a lot of websites out there to find out the most common new year's resolutions that people make. You know what's in the top 3 on every list I've looked at? Getting physically healthier.

In this day and age it seems everything is all about the outer appearances. Are we ever as concerned about our mental and spiritual health as we are about our physical health?

You hear all the time about keeping our lives in balance. We need to balance work and play. We need to balance school and job. We need to balance family and friends. Diet and Exercise. Chocolate vs. Broccoli. But what about the balance of things without substance to them. How do you measure spiritual calories? How do you trim down the excess emotional pounds? How do you gauge your mental exercises?

I think they're all tied together for sure but that doesn't mean we can focus on one and one alone. Dieting and exercising will certainly get your physical health improved and it may help your emotional and mental health as well. But it's not going to boost your emotional or mental health as well as if you focused some time on those things individually too.

So as you are planning out your New Year's Resolutions, don't forget to look inward as well as outward. Consider what you can do to improve not just your physical health but your emotional, mental, and spiritual health as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment