Saturday, January 23, 2010

Diet & Travel Don't Mix

It's not so much that it can't mix. It doesn't mix. You do the best you can for sure but it's difficult to stick with the diet when you're out and about. Your eating schedule is dependent on other people's schedules. Your dietary selections are depedent on what's in other's people's fridges. Or where you happen to be at the time and what restaurants are close by.

I didn't think it'd be that hard when I went to Utah last week. Actually it wasn't too bad, or so I thought. I really thought I did really good! Except for saturday night (which was a gaming night so I expected to eat and snack more) I was able to keep my calorie intake lower than I'd usually do when I visit Utah. I made concious decisions on what I was eating. I even made an effort to put some exercise in there!

I walked (briskly too!) to the wedding reception even though it was cold and I could have driven. I also made myself walk around more than I normally would. Instead of yelling around the house for a parent or a sibling or a niece/nephew, I walked around and looked for them. Instead of grabbing all my snacks and bringing them to the game table so I wouldn't have to go get any snacks for the whole game, I purposefully only brought my drink and crackers. So if I wanted something else I'd have to get up and walk over to get it. That was a two-fold trick I'm proud of! Firstly I had to get up and walk across the house to the kitchen and while I walked there I could decide if I really wanted to have the snack or if I should just get a drink of water instead.

So it's not like I went pig-wild (as matt would call it) and sat around the whole weekend. I really tried hard to still be on a diet! I was very disappointed when I got to the gym on Wed and saw that I hadn't lost any weight at all. I had to give myself the pep talk and say, "Self, at least you didn't gain anything!" My next blog topic (excluding the meal list that is incoming) I'm going to post my self pep talks and some of my inspiration when things aren't quite going the way I hoped. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment