Thursday, January 28, 2010

Size Not Weight

Firstly, As yummy and the sweet & sour cabbage rolls were they don't make all that yummy leftovers in my opinion.

Secondly, Mangos are nasty. It's like....chewing on pine needles.

Third, Creamy Asparagus Pasta was very good! It worked fine with plain mustard and with skim milk if you don't mind the sauce being just a little thinner. I'm not a fan of mustard so I use the normal plain kind instead of the kind in the recipe because strange mustards tend to be stronger in flavor.

Now on to my post!

-----

When my younger sister was pregnant with her first child I remember my oldest sister telling her, "Now Candiss, when you've had your baby and you're trying to lose weight from your pregnancy, just remember one thing. Don't judge your progress by your weight, judge it by your size. When you can fit back into your old jeans that's all that really matters."

That kind of stuck with me. And I was reminded of it especially in the last two months. I see the scale every week and I'm not quite at where I wanted to be by this time. It's discouraging to say the least, especially on weeks where I gain a pound or I don't gain or lose anything.

But despite the evil scale not telling me what I want to see all the time, I have noticed a difference in my clothing sizes. When I feel down, all I need to do to perk up is try on some of my old clothes that are gathering dust in the closet. The jeans I just bought around Christmas were pretty tight when I bought them. Now they fit perfectly and if I keep going, I'll bet they'll start to get a tad loose in a month or two.

There's other things too. My belt was cinched on the first knotch in December and I'm now tightening to the third knotch. Since we're going on vacation soon I pulled out my shorts (I haven't worn shorts in...uh...years) and tried them on today. One fit perfectly, one fit tightly and one didn't quite fit yet. I even dug out my swimsuit *GASP* and it fits. A little snug but definitely wearable without wriggling into it. Neither my shorts nor my swimsuit fit me before I started my diet.

So despite the fact I've lost 20 pounds (which is awesome! don't get me wrong!) instead of the 30-35 pounds I was hoping to do by this time, I'm okay with it. Because I've been dropping sizes. Thanks Laura & Candiss for teaching me how to judge my weight loss from a different perspective.

2 comments:

  1. When I was doing The LA weightloss diet after I had Savanna I had to do the same thing. I had lost about 15 pounds but was stuck there for almost three months. But in that time I was losing inches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the scale getting stuck, but other parts of you shrink. AND, I have to say that I agree about the mangos. You have to find one that is perfectly ripe, but alas, I do not have that talent but instead have a knack for finding the most disgusting ones produces. Ugh.

    Keep up the good work, my friend!!! :)

    ReplyDelete