Monday, November 30, 2009

Eat When Hungry

I've had to learn the difference between being actually hungry and just being 'not-full'. For so long I've snacked whenever I've wanted to and over stuffed myself at meal times. I got used to never, ever being hungry except on fast sundays and those days were really hard. But as I've proceeded with this diet I've really had to learn when my body is telling me I'm actually hungry and when I'm simply feeling 'not-full'.

I think you'd be surprised that there is a big difference. Everytime I feel snackish I stop and ask myself, am I hungry? Or am I just 'not-full' so my body thinks I need to eat. Asking that question helps me not to snack nearly as much as I used to and it helps me recognize when I really am hungry.

That brings me to the point of this post. You have to pay attention to when you really are hungry. I've recognized that even though I'm on a diet and I'm trying to keep my calories low in order to lose weight, I have to eat if my body is telling me I'm hungry. Eat when you're hungry. Don't starve yourself. Even if you go over your calorie limit it's okay as long as you're responding to true hungry and not to 'not-fullness'.

Your body is telling you you're hungry. That means that for some reason your body needs extra energy for something. Whether it's fighting off sickness, dealing with stresses, heavy workouts, long days or long nights, your body needs the energy for some reason. So it's signaling to you that it's hungry and needs food. Listen to your body and eat when hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment