Thursday, November 19, 2009

Game Hens and Brussel Sprouts

Y-U-M!

I've checked off another vegetable on my list of things-I've-never-tried. Brussel Sprouts. They're like a mix between broccoli and cauliflower in taste but have a totally different texture to them.

Last night we did the Game Hen with Brussel Sprouts and lemme tell you it was excellent! It was a bit more work than my usual meals so it's definately something to do when you have the time to do it, but it all turned out just perfectly. The hen was moist and juicy and had rich flavor to the meat that I don't think you could get with chicken. Then with the seasonings on top of it that it was very good. And the veggies probably would have been good just roasting them but after you pull them out of the oven you saute them in a dash of white wine vinegar and let it cook down into a sauce with the hen juices. Then you could also dip pieces of the hen into the sauce as you eat it. It was very very good.

If anyone tries this recipe (Cornish hens are still on sale at price chopper this week!) I would recommend when you are frying it at the beginning, start on it's side first then the other side next. This little bird was kinda hard to truss so cooking it on it's side helped the wings stay in place a little better.

I'll probably be posting my next week's meal list Fri or Sat so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment